We recognize that everyone does their best work when their basic needs are taken care of. VividCortex pays competitive salaries and offers many other benefits:
- Generous paid leave for any purpose (including maternity and paternity).
- Excellent medical insurance and dental benefits.
- Stock options.
- Equipment to help you do your best work (typically a MacBook Pro).
- A nerdy sense of humor, tax-free.
- Premium coffee, frequent team meals, snacks, and more.
- A bookshelf full of blank notebooks for the discriminating note-taking connoisseurs among us :)
Life is too short for your career to be "work." It should be what you love doing.
We're a young, lean, energetic company with a great get-it-done culture. We move fast, deploying to production dozens of times daily. We DevOps with the best of them; we're highly automated, with practices such as continuous integration, automated deploy, infrastructure-as-code, and ChatOps at the core of what we do. We use and contribute to open source heavily. We're fanatical about our product, focusing on excellence in execution from low-level optimizations, to a huge test suite, to the smallest details of design and user interaction.
How We Hire
We call ourselves "Brainiacs," which sums up how we feel about the combination of the characteristics we look for in team members. When we polled internally, we found that our team members consistently said they valued the following in their colleagues and environment:
- Challenging and being challenged.
- Learning and self-improvement.
- An excellent team who are highly intellectual and highly ethical.
- Impact. Seeing the impact of your efforts is crucial.
- High-execution environment. Nothing's more frustrating than being forced to go slowly.
- Creating and building. We call this our "maker" ethos.
We prioritize a top-quality team of high-achievers who are top-decile performers. Everyone says they do this, but if you go through our interviewing process you'll see how we do it differently. We invest a huge amount of time in defining roles and their purpose, defining what's needed to succeed in the role, and evaluating whether the company, role, and candidate are a good mutual fit. We use a very structured interviewing and feedback process, as well as tools such as personality assessments, which we spend a lot of time reviewing with candidates to ensure we all understand each other well. (We care just as much about not setting you up to fail, as we do about finding a great hire). We also pay in a fair, principled way that is based on actual contribution, not things like ability to negotiate.
Our Mission, Vision, and Core Values
Great companies do not happen by accident. We set out with a clear picture of our goal. Before we even founded the company, we documented our intention: who are we, what do we do, how do we do it, and why?
Our mission is to promote the mastery of data-driven performance optimization. Our vision is a world where systems run better, people use evidence instead of hunches, and teams collaborate to ship better code faster.
You'll notice that we are not caught up in chasing fads, such as saying "we're a technology company that just happens to do database monitoring." We're not "just happening" to do anything. We're using technology in service of our goals; it's not part of our identity!
Our Core Values guide our long-term and day-to-day decisions. They are non-negotiable statements that encapsulate our strongly-held beliefs about right and wrong conduct.
- Empathy. We let go of our egos, consider other perspectives, and act as we would wish others to act.
- Growth. We challenge ourselves and each other to get better every day. We try to improve ourselves, our colleagues, our communities, and our world.
- Pragmatism. Done is better than perfect, so we ship now and improve later. We work in short cycles. We make smart investments of time and risk to define, measure, and execute the shortest path to better.
- Inclusiveness. We believe diversity is a strength. We treat each other as equals regardless of factors such as background, location, or employment status.
Talk to us and you'll find these are not hollow marketing fluff.